We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Osmanthus blooms and offers a sweet scent of jasmine from the start of spring.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Osmanthus
Family : Oleaceae
Type : Shrub
Height : 3 to 4 m
Exposure : Sunny and partial shade
Ground : Rich enough
Foliage : Persistent -Flowering : Spring
Here are the maintenance actions over the seasons that will contribute to the beauty of your osmanthus.
It is better to plant osmanthusin autumn to help your osmanthus take root during the winter.
But like most shrubs bought in a container, you can plant it throughout the year as long as you increase the watering if you decide to plant in spring or summer (avoid periods of high heat)
In hedge, each foot of osmanthus about 2 m apart.
- Osmanthus love the sun and tolerate partial shade well
- This shrub tolerates all types of soil
- It fears cool winds during flowering, so shelter it from prevailing winds
- Follow our planting tips.
Multiply the osmanthus:
The cuttings of this shrub is the fastest way to propagate it. Do not hesitate to multiply your osmanthus in summer!
Pruning and caring for osmanthus
Pruning osmanthus is not essential, but it still helps to keep a compact habit and dense foliage throughout the year.
- Preferably prune at the end of winter but before the appearance of the first buds.
- We also prune after flowering so as not to alter the appearance of flowers in spring.
- You can also prune after flowering
- Remove dead or fragile branches as you go
The osmanthus fears extreme cold and stagnant humidity, which is why it will need to be protected
Diseases of osmanthus
Osmanthus is very resistant to most diseases in the garden.
You can still be prone to mealybug invasions, but this is not very common.
- Cochineals: Organic control and treatment
To know about osmanthus
Osmanthus is not the most widely used shrub, yet has many benefits that others do not.
Its beautiful green foliage, plain or variegated depending on the variety, is dense and is ideal for the constitution of not too tall and flowering hedges.
Its flowers, white and deliciously scented, are reminiscent of the scent of jasmine. In China, we use its flower to flavor green tea.
Osmanthus is also called holly because of its leathery leaves which, although not serrated, are reminiscent of holly.
Finally, know that if you want to cultivatepotted osmanthus, nothing should stop you because this shrub perfectly tolerates a container culture.
- Prefer Osmanthus x burkwoodii for growing in pots or in containers
From species and varieties of osmanthus the most interesting we find:
- Osmanthus x burkwoodii
- Osmanthus delavayi
- Osmanthus fragrans
- Osmanthus heterophyllus
For beautiful flowers, in the fall, spread a bag of potting soil mixed with a flower fertilizer at the foot of the tree.
You can also use the ashes from your fireplace throughout the winter, it will improve flowering in the spring.
Also read on shrubs:
- Flowering shrub ideas for a hedge
- The hedge, the best defense against disease
- Summer flowering shrubs