Leg of lamb is a staple of French cuisine and particularly popular at Easter.
Leg of lamb for 6-8 people:
- 1 leg of 2 to 2.5 kg
- 5 podsgarlic
- 4 branches of rosemary
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 50 gr of butter
The recipe with garlic and rosemary, accompanied by beans and potatoes is certainly the most common and among the most popular.
Leg of lamb recipe
Leg of lamb can be cooked in 2 different ways, either as a roast, i.e. for a short time in a very hot oven, or confit by cooking for several hours.
We will retain here the most commonly used method, that is to say roasted in the oven.
- Start by pricking the leg with garlic cloves to flavor the meat
- Butter the baking dish and put a few sprigs of rosemary at the bottom and on top of the meat
- Add the rest of the garlic to the bottom of the dish to soak up the juice and thus have candied garlic
- Avoid salt before cooking because the salt absorbs the juice that is needed
Accompaniment with the leg of lamb:
It is delicious to leather potatoes at the same time as the leg of lamb.
- Choose small potatoes otherwise they may not be cooked enough
- Peel all the potatoes
- Arrange the potatoes around the leg of lamb
We can also add green beans as long as you hide them separately and add them at the last moment.
Cooking the leg of lamb:
Cooking the leg of lamb is important because it must remain slightly pink in the middle, otherwise the meat may be too dry
- Preheat the oven to thermostat 7-8
- Bake your leg of lamb, leaving the skin towards you
- Cook for 1/4 hour per pound (approx 500 gr)
- Baste regularly with the juice collected at the bottom of the dish
Remove the pan from the oven about 15 minutes before serving and cover with aluminum foil to tenderize the meat.
Enjoy your meal !