More and more budding gardeners are letting themselves be tempted by this new trend: the high vegetable garden.
Smart, practical and profitable, the raised vegetable garden has many advantages and is not very complicated to implement.
And besides, it's quite elegant.
Small assessment on the vegetable gardens in height.
What are the different types of raised vegetable gardens?
Let's face it: there isn't just one type of raised vegetable garden. Indeed, as soon as the cultivated land surface is above the ground, we can speak of a high vegetable garden. However, 2 main types of high-rise vegetable gardens stand out:
- Raised vegetable gardens : it is then simply a question of creating mounds or kinds of containers which allow the cultivation surface to be slightly raised;
- Hanging or above ground vegetable gardens : It is then a question of creating supports, generally 90 centimeters high, allowing you to cultivate your vegetable garden while standing.
And even the latter are broken down into high vegetable squares and cultivation tables. The two are very different. Indeed the first are bins, generally made of wood, filled with earth and of reasonable dimensions (maximum 1 meter per side). The second are real cultivation tables, a bit like in greenhouses: you have your containers and pots on these tables.
Very modular, this solution is nevertheless reserved for those who have a large garden, or even a greenhouse.
What are the advantages of high gardens?
Tall vegetable gardens have many advantages, no matter which solution you choose.
In fact, in addition to preventing you from bending down (and therefore protecting your back and your joints), high gardens have many benefits for your crops.
- As you no longer walk on the earth, it is less compacted, more aerated and the roots of your plants are more comfortable: your crops are more beautiful and your harvests larger ;
- Since you don't need to walk around your vegetable garden, you can tighten the space between the plants and thus improve productivity: you harvest more for the same area ;
- The earth is better drained, better heated, better ventilated. The result is that you can start your plantings earlier and finish them later: the cultivation period is extended ;
- And finally, for bio addicts: if your land is polluted (and it probably is), by cultivating in soilless, you can choose a quality organic soil that you will easily amend. Your vegetables will be 100% organic !
Finally, not only is a raised vegetable patch very elegant, original and pleasant, but also it allows you to cultivate a vegetable garden without destroying a landscaped garden, or even to make your vegetable garden on your balcony!
How to choose or build your raised vegetable garden?
Several options exist for your raised vegetable patch. Indeed, the less do-it-yourselfers, and those who do not have the space to make it at home, will be able to buy a ready-made one. Many suppliers now offer this type of kit products at reasonable prices.
But the more DIY enthusiasts can do it themselves. For that nothing very complicated:
- a few shuttering boards,
- square posts of 5 centimeters in section,
- a drill, screwdriver, jigsaw and stainless screws will do the trick.
In a few hours, you're done!